We all know the benefits of eating natural ingredients, but what about the ingredients that go into our shampoos? To find the best natural shampoo for you, it's crucial to look at the ingredients list. Most shampoos you find at the drugstore are full of chemicals, which can have harmful health side effects. The biggest culprit in commercial shampoos is SLS, or sodium laurel sulfate.
Sodium laurel sulfate creates toxins called dioxins, which are dangerous carcinogens. Unfortunately, companies love to use SLS in their products because it is so readily available and cheap. It also lathers up when mixed with soap, so customers are more likely to think the product is really cleaning their hair. On the contrary; foam has nothing to do with how clean your hair is becoming. In fact, this foam in SLS cleans car engines and kitchen floors, since it mainly used for cleaning grease.
Scientists have studied SLS and found that there are many negative health effects that come from using it. It's absorbed through skin and can damage the immune system irreparably, making the body more susceptible to viruses and other illnesses. SLS builds up in the heart, lungs, liver, and brain in small quantities over time and linger. SLS also irritates the scalp, wears down hair follicles, inhibits hair's ability to grow, and can even make hair fall out, which is the opposite of what a good shampoo should do!
Best Natural Shampoo FAQ
1. What Is Natural Shampoo for Dry Hair?
Natural shampoos for dry hair are made specifically for dry, coarse hair. They have no synthetic ingredients, so no sulfates, like SLS, parabens, or other chemicals found in most drugstore shampoos. Since curly hair is often drier than straight or wavy hair, the best natural shampoos for dry hair will address concerns specific to dry hair, and cannot strip the hair too much, as this defeats the purpose.
2. What Does Natural Shampoo Do?
Natural shampoos cleanse the hair, especially of any build up product such as styling cremes or hairspray, without using chemicals or other harmful ingredients. Sometimes it is ideal to use a natural conditioner with the natural shampoo to give some moisture back to your clean hair. Natural shampoos are a great alternative to more popular brands that contain tons of drying agents like sulfates. For people concerned about the health effects they may suffer from chemicals in their shampoos, natural shampoos are the answer.
3. How Does Natural Shampoo Work?
Without chemicals, natural shampoos work just as well as regular shampoos, but without all the negative side effects. Natural shampoos rarely lather as much as shampoo with chemicals in it since they lack the chemical reaction between SLS and salt. However, this does not mean they do not cleanse the hair just as well, if not better. Usually, natural shampoos have oils from different plants, or extracts and plant-based proteins to help tame frizz and tangles. They may contain vitamin E or have omega-3s for the added protein.
People may desire different natural shampoos based on their unique hair type. Some have thin, limp hair, and may desire shampoos that can give them some extra volume and body. Others may be bogged down with thick and heavy hair, and might need something that will help them tame their thick mane. Curly hair has different requirements than straight hair, and those with curly hair are more likely to need something more intense and moisturizing.
Certain shampoos are made specifically for those who color their hair, or for those who often use heat to dry or style their hair. Some people may also need to look out for ingredients that won't irritate their scalp whether they have a sensitive skin or a condition like eczema.
4. Where Can You Buy Them?
Like other shampoos, you can purchase natural shampoos at a local drugstore, grocery store, or chain such as Target or Walmart. You can also order them online from Amazon or other retailer's website. It's a good idea to compare and contrast to see where you can get the greatest deal on purchasing the best natural shampoo.
How We Reviewed
- Chia Shampoo by Aubrey Organic
- Acure Organics Pure Mint and Echinacea Stem Cell Volume Natural Shampoo
- Green People Daily Aloe Shampoo
- Avalon Organics Volumizing Rosemary Shampoo
- John Masters Organics Shampoo
- Pacifica Coconut Power Strong & Long Healing Shampoo
- DR. ALKAITIS Organic Herbal Shampoo
- Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Invigorating Shampoo
- Hair Superfood: Nourishing shampoo with chia seed oil, rich in omega-3, adds softness & elasticity
- Protein-Rich: Quinoa protein smooths hair to control frizz & helps protect from heat styling damage
- Color Care: Aubrey’s unique antioxidant tea blend helps protect color-treated hair
Gentle for sensitive scalps
Good for all hair types
Safe for color-treated hair
Rich in omega-3s
Protein rich formula strengthens hair
Organic quinoa protein protects from heat damage
Some say it dries hair and requires more conditioner
- This bundle includes two 8 oz. bottles of Acure Organics Pure Mint and Echinacea Stem Cell Volume Natural Shampoo
- Organic shampoo contains echinacea extract and babassau oil, making it the best natural clarifying shampoo for oily hair
- The quinoa shampoo is an all natural shampoo, leaving hair feeling thicker, fuller, and uplifted
Safe for color-treated hair
Adds volume to limp and thin hair
Peppermint adds tingle and refreshing sensation
Some find herbal echinacea scent unpleasant
Others found it didn't remove buildup of hair products
Some customers found it drying
Not ideal for those with thick hair
- A soothing natural shampoo for all hair types. Suitable for people who may be prone to eczema and psoriasis.
- Leaves hair feeling soft & clean
- Gentle, non-irritating formula for all your family
Suitable for all hair types
Ideal for scalps with skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis
Good for normal to dry hair
Favorite product of celebrities like Kate Moss
Does not foam, which can bother some
Is not a fragrant shampoo
Some found it made their hair limp
- Builds full healthy-looking volume in thin, limp, lifeless hair
- Gentle, effective, plant-based shampoo made with organic botanicals & essential oils
- Contains organic ingredients
Uses aloe leaf juice, rosemary, and quinoa seed to add volume to thin and flat hair.
No synthetic fragrances
Cleanses while adding volume
Adds shine to hair
Some found too drying
Best used with matching conditioner
- SLOWS HAIR LOSS: Certified organic LAVENDER EXTRACT that normalizes scalp conditions and aids in reducing hair loss.
- ADD VOLUME AND SHINE: Certified organic ROSEMARY EXTRACT stimulates healthy hair growth.
- MAKE HAIR LOOK THICKER AND FULLER: Strengthen hair follicles and improve shine with SOY PROTEIN.
Formulated with sulfur, which prompts keratin growth for thick and healthy hair
Contains amino acids from soy, rice, and oat proteins to help strengthen hair
Suitable for sensitive scalps
Minimum of 70% organic content
Honey coats hair to lock in moisture
Hibiscus extract adds fragrance
Rosemary leaf oil adds lustrous shine to hair
Lathers for a clean feeling
Expensive, not as affordable as some brands
Some found formula drying on their hair
Hibiscus scent not pleasurable to some people
- 100% vegan & cruelty-free
- Good for all hair types, especially dry, damaged and color treated.
- Revive dry damaged hair, weakened by frequent washing, chemical processes, heat styling and daily environmental...
Safe for color-treated hair
Good for all hair types
Specially formulated for dry and damaged hair.
Has a nice coconut scent
Helps to smooth and tame frizz
Not for those who want unscented shampoo
Not ideal for those with thin or oily hair
Good for normal, dry, and oily hair
Stimulates blood circulation at scalp and roots of hair follicles.
Safe for color-treated hair
Purifying and cleanses product buildup from hair
Contains a blend of vitamins, herbs, and oils to cleanse hair naturally
Expensive for most people, especially for everyday use
Some found it too strong and drying
Scent is strong, irritated the eyes of some customers
Recommended to use with conditioner
- INVIGORATING SHAMPOO FOR ALL HAIR TYPES: The industry-revolutionizing original. Remove buildup and reveal your hair's...
- NEW PACKAGING, SAME TINGLE: Minty 'Destress Express' aroma tingles and livens the senses. Exhilarating rosemary and...
- SULFATE-FREE: Sulfate-free formula replenishes without stripping away balancing emollients. Formulated with a low pH to...
Minimum of 80% natural ingredients.
Manufactured with 100% renewable energy
Includes a variety of antioxidants to fight aging.
Made of essential oils.
Leaves hair light
Creates tingly sensation on scalp
Kids, men, and women all enjoy scent
Somewhat expensive, especially for everyday use
Some found their hair was still oily at the end of the day
After careful consideration and reviewing the pros and cons of many brands, we have determined that Yes to Naturals Ultra Moisture Shampoo is the best natural shampoo for dry hair. While this shampoo would not be ideal for those who have an issue with scented products, Yes to Naturals Ultra Moisture Shampoo offers a great product for dry and damaged hair. At only $8 a bottle, Yes to Naturals Ultra Moisture Shampoo is one of the cheapest shampoos on this list, making it affordable for anyone looking for the best natural shampoo.
The blend of oils in the shampoo helps to tame frizz, which is one of the main complaints from those dealing with dry and damaged hair. It is difficult to find the best natural shampoo when your hair has specific needs and requirements, but luckily, we have determined which benefits are the best. Most reviewers seemed to love the coconut scent and said it really helped to de-tangle their damaged hair.
In fact, the only customers we found who had real issues with the shampoo were those with limp, thin hair. That said, most people with dry and damaged hair often have thick hair as well. For those customers, we've found the best natural shampoo for you. For customers who will splurge more in their quest for the best natural shampoo, we would recommend Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Invigorating Shampoo.
This shampoo will cost a pretty penny, at $26 for a smaller bottle and $50 for a large bottle, but if you love natural ingredients, this is another amazing contender for best natural shampoo. It has a delicious blend of essential oils, and has a ton of antioxidants in it as well which will help to nourish not just your hair, but your skin and scalp too.
The Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Invigorating Shampoo is also perfect for those who care about the environment; it's not every day you hear about a shampoo made entirely from renewable energy sources. As an added benefit, despite the price tag, it's a shampoo that the whole family will love, since men, women, and children alike all enjoy the scent. As with the Yes to Naturals Ultra Moisture Shampoo, this shampoo is not ideal for those who want an unscented product.
Whether you want a cheap, natural shampoo for your dry and damaged hair, or a more luxury product worthy of celebrity status, we have gathered all the information for you to find the best natural shampoo for you. No matter which shampoo you choose, it will be better for your hair and scalp than a shampoo full of sulfates, parabens, and other nasty chemicals. Finding a good shampoo for your hair type is difficult, but even more so when checking for quality ingredients.